The 2016 NBCCD graduation will be recognizing 118 graduates from the college’s 10 fine craft and design programs at the convocation ceremony on Friday, June 17 at the Fredericton Playhouse.
Marching down Queen Street behind the police escort and the bagpiper, the colourful and playful caps are one of the highlights of this year’s graduation ceremonies. Graduates will be marching across the stage to receive certificates in Foundation Visual Arts and Graduate Studies, as well as diplomas in Aboriginal Visual Arts, Ceramics, Jewellery/Metal Arts, Photography, Textile Design, Fashion Design, Graphic Design, and Digital Media.
NBCCD is honoured to have its graduate exhibition “Out of our Minds” once again hosted at the prestigious and newly renovated Beaverbrook Art Gallery. This incredible show clearly demonstrates the best pieces of the soon-to-be graduates.
The 2016 Graduate Studies exhibit “Narrative” is also on display at the George Fry Gallery. It opens Friday, June 17. The show features the passionate work of students who have returned for a fourth year of studies at NBCCD. Graduate Studies gives students studio time to develop a product, a line of work, a portfolio, or even learn a new technology while spending time in intensive business studies.
It’s been an incredible year filled with tremendous student and alumni successes:
- Sylvette Fortin, a Textile Design and Graduate Studies alumni, has been accepted into the prestigious UNB Foundry Program, which focuses on Entrepreneurship. Sylvette was one of 20 students who were accepted out of 350 international applications.
- Jackie Doucette, Martin Jarman, and Jennifer McInnis-Wharton are Ceramic diploma alumni, who are also graduates of the Graduate Studies program. All three are already showing in major Canadian galleries prior to receiving their certificates.
- Anna Schneider, Graphic Design Diploma graduate, was awarded the McCain Foundation Award at the NBCC Foundation Inc presentations earlier this year.
- Alumni Shirim Hesasmi Takallu is now a Nuke Compositor Technical Artist at Stereo D LLC. Stereo D is the recognized leader in high-quality conversion of 2D theatrical content into stereoscopic 3D imagery.
- Alumni Natalie Sappier has been the Aboriginal Outreach Officer for the New Brunswick Arts Board for the past three years and recently she became the artist-in-residence at Theatre New Brunswick.
- Ceramist Megan MacKinley received the Heather Stone Emerging Artist award at the 2016 Atlantic Craft Tradeshow in Halifax, NS.
Faculty have also had a banner year. NBCCD is extremely proud of all its instructors, as instructors not only teach, but many have their own practices, whether it be working in the industry or exhibiting their work locally and aboard:
- Denise Richard has had numerous contracts with theatre, ballet and opera, and is very excited to be the costume designer and set supervisor for the 2017 production of the Lion King by The Atlantic Ballet.
- Janice Wright Cheney’s installation work has been exhibited internationally, and she was awarded a New Brunswick Arts Board Creation Grant from Arts NB for Visual Arts.
- Brigitte Clavette, who has previously been the recipient of one Canada’s second highest Craft Awards through the Sheila Hugh McKay Foundation, was awarded the contract for designing the individual awards for the SHM Foundation.
- Maja Padrov, both an NBCCD Ceramics alumni and instructor received an invitation to one of the world’s largest ceramics shows, the Taiwan Biennale. Maja has also won a grant to help her attend the opening in August.
This is only a sampling of the past year’s accomplishments by students, staff and alumni from NBCCD. This just keeps demonstrating that being a center of creative excellence through teaching, nurturing and developing talent, passion and skills is what NBCCD does best.
Please join us in congratulating all of NBCCD’s 2016 Graduates. All of our graduates are leaving with skills, personal bests and are ready to move into the next stage of their careers.
NBCCD wishes you the very best and looks forward to all your personal success stories in the future.