Foundation Visual Arts
Certificate | Online – 1 year | 2 semesters
Want to learn Foundation Visual Arts from the comfort of your living room, or home studio? Apply now to fill one of our limited seats in the fully online FVA program. You’ll get plenty of one-on-one time with your instructors, and will be able to tap into all the same resources the College provides for in-person students. The courses will be provided in an asynchronous format, to fit any schedule.
To apply, select ‘Foundation Visual Arts – Online’ in the application portal.
In Foundation Visual Arts Online, you will:
- Develop your creativity with an innovative and dynamic program that teaches drawing, colour theory, creative process, art history, design, and writing for designers and makers.
- Learn from a team of energetic, enthusiastic, and highly qualified instructors who are committed to your success.
- Develop dexterity and visual problem solving with hands-on, project-based curriculum
- Gain empowerment in your knowledge and appreciation of visual culture and design.
- Enjoy the flexibility of asynchronous program delivery, while retaining personalized attention and contact with your instructors and classmates.
- Virtually explore a selection of our studios to help determine your direction for the future.
- Enjoy the learning and social benefits of peer-to-peer support with our small online class sizes (maximum 18 students per class).
- Benefit from access to NBCCD Student Services, including tutoring and counselling.
Interested in finding out more?
Email the Recruitment Office: email@example.com
Foundation Visual Arts (FVA) Online is a program that you can participate in from any location as long as you have a strong internet connection and dedicated computer access. If you prefer to take our in-person version of FVA in New Brunswick at the Fredericton or Saint John campus, click here for more details.
The Curriculum Standard is an introduction to the program which includes the program’s critical performance, a program description, program learning outcomes, and the program’s potential career opportunities. This is followed by information on duration, credits, admission requirements, advanced placement, certification, articulations, and prior learning assessment and recognition.
This document also contains a program delivery sequence and the course profiles with specific course learning outcomes and grading basis.
In addition, the Curriculum Standard is used as a tool for revision and evaluation of the program and for the promotion of transfer agreements with other post-secondary institutions.
- Skill Development (Fine Craft, Applied Design and Visual Arts Practice)
- Elements and Principles of Design
- Creative Process and Visual Problem Solving
- Drawing From Observation
- Historical Trends and Contemporary Theory
- English Language Skills
- Basic Business Practices and Digital Photography
The Certificate in Foundation Visual Arts provides foundational knowledge in design and visual art vocabulary, dexterity, critical thinking and visual problem-solving skills. These skills are culminated in the production of a personal portfolio. A portfolio is used to apply for grants, scholarships and for further study in one of NBCCD’s diverse diploma programs or other visual art institutions.
Drawing from Observation
Visual Culture: Prehistory to 1600
Language of Design
Drawing From Observation: Form and Expression
The Creative Process and Social Engagement
Visual Culture: 1600 to the Present
Go to the Admission Requirements to learn more. This page will also provide more details and info on where to mail your transcript of marks, cash, cheques and/or money order.
The priority deadline to apply to the Foundation Visual Arts Online program is December 15. Applications are accepted after this date on a rolling basis. Reach out if you’re interested!