Any applicant who does not meet the English language competency requirements is recommended to successfully complete the English for Academic Purposes Pathway program at the University of New Brunswick – Fredericton campus.
In this pathway program, you will develop the necessary academic English skills in order to enable success for full time studies in your chosen NBCCD program.
The pathway is as follows:
*To successfully complete the English for Academic Purposes Pathway and move onto your full time NBCCD program, you must maintain a B average in each English term course until completion.
*Duration of pathway is relative to proficiency level upon entry. Students below 5.5 IELTS (or equivalent) typically require more than one term of study.
With an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) focus, these options offer maximum benefit to participants wishing to increase their English proficiency for university study. The Intensive English Term Format and the Intensive English Term Segment can equip you with the English language skills you need. The learning targets will improve your ability to write, read, problem solve, study independently, give presentations, and improve note-taking and critical thinking skills.
NBCCD LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
If your first language of instruction was not English, then you will need to submit original copies of a notarized translated transcript. Scanned and faxed copies of translated transcripts are not acceptable.
If your language of instruction was not English, or you have not attended an English-speaking educational institution, you will also need proof of English-language competency. We can accept any of the following tests:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic test: Minimum score of 6.0 with no subject test score less than 5.5
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet based test: minimum score of 80 with no subject test less than 18
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum score of 100 out of 160
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE). Overall Cambridge English Scale score of 169
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL): Minimum score of 60
- The Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST): Minimum score of 4.5 with no subtest less than 4.0
- PTE Pearson Test of English (Academic): Minimum score of 65 with no subject test less than 60