Proficiency in English is a requirement to study at NBCCD.
If your first language is not English, or you have studied outside of Canada, you might be required to submit an English proficiency test.
Our English proficiency requirements are as follows:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic test: Minimum score of 6.0 with no subject test score less than 5.5
- Cambridge English B2 First, C1 Advanced, or C2 Proficiency: Minimum overall score of 169 with no subject test score less than 162.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet-based test: minimum score of 80 with no subject test less than 18
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum score of 110 out of 160
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL): Minimum score of 60
- The Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST): Minimum score of 4.5 with no subtest less than 4.0
- PTE Pearson Test of English (Academic): Minimum score of 65 with no subject test less than 60
For applicants who are international students, see International Students for more information.
Any applicants who do not meet the English language competency requirements are required to successfully complete English for Academic Purposes at the University of New Brunswick – Fredericton campus, or equivalent.
In this pathway program, you will develop the necessary academic English skills in order to succeed in full-time studies in your chosen NBCCD program.
The pathway is as follows:
The duration of the pathway is relative to the proficiency level upon entry. Students below 5.5 IELTS (or equivalent) typically require more than one term of study.
To successfully complete English for Academic Purposes and move on to your full-time NBCCD program of choice, you must maintain a B average in each English term course until completion.
With an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) focus, these options offer maximum benefit to participants wishing to increase their English proficiency for university study. The Intensive English Term Format and the Intensive English Term Segment can equip you with the English language skills you need. The learning targets will improve your ability to write, read, problem solve, study independently, give presentations, and improve note-taking and critical thinking skills.